Victron (#TeamBlue) Advanced Systems + VRM - How We Done It -

Now switch the solar off and filled the fridge with beer & wine to drain that battery down. I need it low enough for a good load for the Orion to work at to see how it’ll all work.

The fan at the back of the ali? Rids is genius....

I'm actually in a similar place but without much wisdom leecy wise to gratify that. I started the day plumbing stuff in and spent most of the day updating........my web is pitiful in the sticks. Much to my amazement most of it works.my cut off failsafe to B2B switch works Del's temps sensing relay works , me fan pulled the temp down of the Orion while it was pulling 32A and held it . It was a brief test like yours Rids but really promising I'll need to dig at this much deeper .but for a first day it's promising at least

I think I need a diode one in one out say 30A max any help please lads?

thank you

I'm actually in a similar place but without much wisdom leecy wise to gratify that. I started the day plumbing stuff in and spent most of the day updating........my web is pitiful in the sticks. Much to my amazement most of it works.my cut off failsafe to B2B switch works Del's temps sensing relay works , me fan pulled the temp down of the Orion while it was pulling 32A and held it . It was a brief test like yours Rids but really promising I'll need to dig at this much deeper .but for a first day it's promising at least

thank you
It’s a great feeling when stuff starts working

thank you
Cutting out the 140mm diameter hole in the 5mm plate was not the work of a moment…

I’m now thinking the the warmed air coming up through the Orion fins need to be discouraged for popped straight back over the top of the plate and back into the fan… a baffle of some sort….
Time for an old v think plastic chopping sheet , some gaffer tape and a pair of scissors…

thank you
Where/why do you think you need the diodes?

@Rids

reply 1 ha ha yes but today it didn't want to play.unsure on cause.but spent a goodly while thinking I'd broke MPPT......I noted the BMV 712 was not showing a numver inside the circular first page on phone...when somehow that started working so did the MPPT....think BMV was telling MPPT battery full so MPPT wouldn't charge ......I'd discontected battery overnight so maybe this was part of the cause.mind me and the digital world always seems to be a knife fight..... got there all working again but as ya say not the work of a moment

2 Ha yes I get that wow 5MM...what tools used? Jigsaw? Hmm ya do realize there's a whole generation of us that grew up wiith Blue peter and think anything is possible with tape scissors an a bit of plastic sheet? :D

3 I want to try and use the MPPT's (75/15) load output ( and vic's batterylife algorythm) to charge the starter battery............not the convention I know most would use something like an Ablemail trickle charger but I've been told it can be done.so want to try and explore that to see if it's possible..................

I need to block current coming back from the starter battery into the load output so figured a diode might be a way of doing that? The 30A is a figure pulled from the ether...I tend to do overkill... from what I've learnt so far the amp figure might me much much smaller.I monitored around 3amps yesterday

There might be another more appropriate way to achieve that block on the flow of electrons but I'm learning so ask the stupid questions......they give me something to run with

@Rids

reply 1 ha ha yes but today it didn't want to play.unsure on cause.but spent a goodly while thinking I'd broke MPPT......I noted the BMV 712 was not showing a numver inside the circular first page on phone...when somehow that started working so did the MPPT....think BMV was telling MPPT battery full so MPPT wouldn't charge ......I'd discontected battery overnight so maybe this was part of the cause.mind me and the digital world always seems to be a knife fight..... got there all working again but as ya say not the work of a moment

2 Ha yes I get that wow 5MM...what tools used? Jigsaw? Hmm ya do realize there's a whole generation of us that grew up wiith Blue peter and think anything is possible with tape scissors an a bit of plastic sheet? :D

3 I want to try and use the MPPT's (75/15) load output ( and vic's batterylife algorythm) to charge the starter battery............not the convention I know most would use something like an Ablemail trickle charger but I've been told it can be done.so want to try and explore that to see if it's possible..................

I need to block current coming back from the starter battery into the load output so figured a diode might be a way of doing that? The 30A is a figure pulled from the ether...I tend to do overkill... from what I've learnt so far the amp figure might me much much smaller.I monitored around 3amps yesterday

There might be another more appropriate way to achieve that block on the flow of electrons but I'm learning so ask the stupid questions......they give me something to run with
I started with a brand new hole saw; which was a battle… then I thought it doesn’t look big enough a quick check on the box revealed 114mm not the 140 I thought I’d bought… number dyslexia is a thing!
So finished with a jigsaw and inevitably some filing.

As for using the load output to charge the starter… sounds fine but I reckon you’ll need some sort of trickle charge in between, other wise you’ll be connecting the two batteries together albeit with 15A current limit between them inside the MPPT… I wouldn’t think that was a good plan, not even with a diode… I’d def be seeking help from an expert.
My starter battery trickle charge comes from the Multiplus inverter/charger & seems to work great.

1662041310214.png

@Samro has some got info and advanced setup that included VRM,

talking about ROAMER lifepo4 battery charging.

so ill post a link to it here:

+

1672315403624.png

Samro can you link your dc breakers please? The ones pictured above, I need some and found outback at Bimble solar. Trying to shop for best I can.

What happened here?

Since the recent cold spell I've had an issue with my caravan (Which is inconveniently stored about 10 miles from my house)

My 2 x TNPower 110Ah Lifepo4 batteries have not been taking a charge which I initially assumed to be due to cold,(BMS switched charging) but now it has warmed up a bit they are still not accepting any charge from the 350W of solar on roof. The VRM has been dead, so I knew I needed to go down at some point.

Weirdly the Cerbo and router woke up a couple of times in the last week allowing access to VRM, but solar yield was capped at the 7W, which is pretty much what my caravan needs to run itself. I assumed that the batteries were just too flat to wake up (before the MPPT) and that was the cause of my issue, so I attended the caravan today with my EcoFlow to (inefficiently) wake up the batteries using a Victron IP65 charger. My thinking was that if I can get 20-40% charge, then solar would sort the charge out until we use the thing in half term in a few of weeks.
B26D381F-6DAA-479F-867E-94EC7535ED66.jpeg

But the batteries would not wake up using the IP65 charger using the Lifepo4 charging profile.
This is the charger that failed to wake up the batteries:
9A805A6E-261C-4B90-A7DA-3A91EF6C8B41.jpeg

Luckily I had a brief moment of genius and had a plan B, which consisted of running a power cable from my van's inverter to the EHU of the caravan and using the main caravan charger (Victron IP43) wake up the batteries. This worked great!

It is possible that I was just impatient with the IP65 charger, but I did give it 30 mins before resorting to plan B. (The charger below woke up the internal battery BMS in about 5 minutes.)
C61F9496-89EB-4AD2-ACFD-E33199A155AF.jpeg

Once the batteries were awake, I was then able to use the IP65, combining charging from my van (via the IP43) and also EcoFlow using the IP65. This sped thing up a little allowing a combined charge rate of over 750W, so all was good.
6B331A88-E7FA-494F-A387-9320E5A0A334.jpeg

Question is- why wouldn't the IP65 charger wake up my TNPower batteries? Was I just too impatient?

Last edited:
Possibly a bit too impatient.

The pic shows the Ip65 in bulk mode indicating that it's was delivery a good voltage and current.

Not sure on the TN Power spec about waking up....

But two 100ah batteries will take a while to take enough charge to wake-up.

Screenshot_20230129_155230_Chrome.jpg

Possibly a bit too impatient.

The pic shows the Ip65 in bulk mode indicating that it's was delivery a good voltage and current.

Not sure on the TN Power spec about waking up....

But two 100ah batteries will take a while to take enough charge to wake-up.

View attachment 186310

The photo was taken after the batteries had recovered. It was in absorption mode when I considered the thing incapable of waking up the batteries.

Most lifepo4 just rely on a voltage above the set point to wake them up.

Ie. 14.2v, the battery will draw a very low current as the cells start to rise in voltage to the point the BMS wakes up.

It depends on the battery as to how long it takes.

As an example the last Renogy 100ah I don't it on took 2 hours to wake.

Most lifepo4 just rely on a voltage above the set point to wake them up.

Ie. 14.2v, the battery will draw a very low current as the cells start to rise in voltage to the point the BMS wakes up.

It depends on the battery as to how long it takes.

As an example the last Renogy 100ah I don't it on took 2 hours to wake.
Ah that'll be me being impatient then! Thanks for this.

New feature....

Screenshot_20240315_080858_Chrome.jpg

Exactly but that is ok for me, as there is 400w of solar too, so the last few percent of battery charge should get there in the end unless the DC-DC stops giving the 300w I need to run. If it does then the water heater will switch off when battery depletes to say 95%.

BTW- Re your comment about the solar backing off when battery is full; You could pretty much do that already. You could do this by tricking the GX device into thinking it has a genset, but simply use the "conditions" to switch a load off or on to suit your requirements.

Here is how.
In the Remote Console on the Cerbo GX or Venus GX, go to settings and change the relay use as "Generator start/stop":

View attachment 164835

Next go settings-generator start stop:
View attachment 164837

Make sure auto start is enabled:
View attachment 164838

Then go to settings-conditions to set the conditions. So that the "genset" turns off at 100% charge and on when the battery is depleted to say 95%. (This is more reliable than using voltage as the trigger, because the load will cause a voltage dip and create problems if you don't use battery %.)

View attachment 164846

If you wanted, you could set up quiet hours and so the water only heats in a morning, leaving the afternoon sun to leave you batteries at a minimum 99% at sundown.

The above settings will trigger relay 1 on the GX device according to the conditions that you set.

The N/C relay port needs to be used, as the idea is that when the "genset is running", whatever big load you are powering is off.
IE- Genset start=load off

You can take this GX relay to switch whatever you like. (Via a heavy duty relay of a suitable size.)
Hello! thank you for sharing this, I have put it to good use.
One question I have is about the “quiet hours” feature. I am quite possibly being thick but I can’t follow the inverse logic of the “normally closed” operation of this feature. What would the quiet hours setting need to be to achieve what you suggest in your post?

Last edited:
Back