Wind deflectors - my comparison.

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I have see quite a few posts on wind deflectors, so thought I would my thoughts.

I have now had 3 different types so maybe can help others with a choice. The ones I have used (in the order I used them), with pros and cons are:

1. VW OEM:

These stick on the outside onto the painted surface of the door around the window. (cant comment on fitting as they were on the van when I got it)

Pros: Pretty quiet
Cons: Not the most attractive, eventually they started to come away and were very difficult to remove and left a slight 'shadow' in the paint, most expensive of the 3.

2. Team Heko:

These tuck onto the channel where the window glass goes.

Pros: Look great, ok to fit but the clips can be fiddly, cheapest of the 3.
Cons: Fitting needs double sided sticky stuff and metal clips but this has caused some people to have issues with the windows re opening when they get to the top. Worst con for me was because of the metal clips preventing the window sealing fully there was always a slight whistling wind noise especially when get above 50mph.

3. ClimAir:

These also fit in the window glass channel. However the differences are they dont use the sticky tape or metal clips, but a small bracket on the end near the mirrors.

Pros: Look great, easy to fit, the most difficult being drilling a small 1mm hole in the black plastic trim, I believe them to be the quietest of the 3 (close with OEM) no whistling noise like the Heko.
Cons: Having to drill a tiny hole on the plastic mirror trim.

Overall in my opinion the ClimAir are the best as the advantages over the others outweigh drilling the tiny hole for the bracket.

HTH

I have see quite a few posts on wind deflectors, so thought I would my thoughts.

I have now had 3 different types so maybe can help others with a choice. The ones I have used (in the order I used them), with pros and cons are:

1. VW OEM:

These stick on the outside onto the painted surface of the door around the window. (cant comment on fitting as they were on the van when I got it)

Pros: Pretty quiet
Cons: Not the most attractive, eventually they started to come away and were very difficult to remove and left a slight 'shadow' in the paint, most expensive of the 3.

2. Team Heko:

These tuck onto the channel where the window glass goes.

Pros: Look great, ok to fit but the clips can be fiddly, cheapest of the 3.
Cons: Fitting needs double sided sticky stuff and metal clips but this has caused some people to have issues with the windows re opening when they get to the top. Worst con for me was because of the metal clips preventing the window sealing fully there was always a slight whistling wind noise especially when get above 50mph.

3. ClimAir:

These also fit in the window glass channel. However the differences are they dont use the sticky tape or metal clips, but a small bracket on the end near the mirrors.

Pros: Look great, easy to fit, the most difficult being drilling a small 1mm hole in the black plastic trim, I believe them to be the quietest of the 3 (close with OEM) no whistling noise like the Heko.
Cons: Having to drill a tiny hole on the plastic mirror trim.

Overall in my opinion the ClimAir are the best as the advantages over the others outweigh drilling the tiny hole for the bracket.

HTH
You waited until I fitted my Heko deflectors yesterday!!!

Thanks for the review, very interesting.
I have Heko’s on my van and there is definitely more wind noise than there was before they were fitted, think I may try the Climairs.
Where did you get yours from?

Thanks for the review, very interesting.
I have Heko’s on my van and there is definitely more wind noise than there was before they were fitted, think I may try the Climairs.
Where did you get yours from?
I bought them from VanStyle but off the eBay shop. The originally sent the wrong ones but when pointed this out to them they had the correct ones out to me in less than 24 hours.

I'm on my second pair of Climairs and like them. I never drilled the required hole and, after losing one on the road at Glencoe in 70mph winds, have used a thin bead of Silicon at the top where it meets the seal to hold it in place. Works a treat (so far!)

I too have Climairs and after initial anxiety about having to drill the trim, I have to say they're brilliant. The hole is tiny and not worth worrying about.

Don't worry, I have team Heko and don't have any noise. I did find after 12 months though that new sticky tape and a couple of extra clips were needed to keep it all securely in place.
That’s the good thing about the Climair deflectors, they fit into the the window channel and just have a small fixing with the 1mm drill hole.... no degrading tape or fiddly clips to worry about.

Management has given permission to change if I’m not happy with the Heko! She has also queried how I would distinguish between the Heko, the awning or the roof bars? (Enough to make me wonder what she has bought recently!)

That’s the good thing about the Climair deflectors, they fit into the the window channel and just have a small fixing with the 1mm drill hole.... no degrading tape or fiddly clips to worry about.
To be fair you don't really need the tape, and the clips take about 2 seconds to put in and cost £2 for 8.

Different Strokes for different folks I suppose

Back