Which? roof rails for a T6?

@Mk72 ,we bought our genuine omtec ones for £70ish from van demon on ebay although im pretty sure they have a website/shop also,hope this helps

@Mk72 ,we bought our genuine omtec ones for £70ish from van demon on ebay although im pretty sure they have a website/shop also,hope this helps
Thanks Martin, had a look they have rails but cross bars out of stock. I've sent a message to see when they are available.

With these roof rails being such a minefield when it comes to leaks and various ways of fitting them hopefully watertight...iv just had VW supply and fit mine, £140.00 all in.
Ok they may end up leaking but at least I can get them and the water damaged trim replaced under warranty. Is it worth the risk DIYing for 30 or 40 quid??
It seems to be the 1 mod on here that gives the most trouble...oh and the side windows, the B14s knocking.....

Do these rails have to fasten through the fibreglass if you have a poptop or do they mount to the metal either side of it? Trying to find a way not to have to upgrade to a bigger van and this could be a way, but not if they’re secured through the poptop as I just wouldn’t trust it would hold.

I don’t trust my local VW at all. I wouldn’t want the faff of them ripping all the interior out of my ‘Velle even if it was for free.

I know it’s done right by doing it myself. Plus it was pretty much half the price.

whatever works though eh!

Do these rails have to fasten through the fibreglass if you have a poptop or do they mount to the metal either side of it? Trying to find a way not to have to upgrade to a bigger van and this could be a way, but not if they’re secured through the poptop as I just wouldn’t trust it would hold.

These roof rails (made by Omtec) specifically fit using the factory mounting points set into the channels on each side of the roof. I suspect any pop-top covers these completely, so they aren’t suitable.

Pete

These roof rails (made by Omtec) specifically fit using the factory mounting points set into the channels on each side of the roof. I suspect any pop-top covers these completely, so they aren’t suitable.

Pete
Thanks, I had a feeling that might be the case.

I'm just about to fit mine. Just sized up the fit, and i'm not sure I like the idea of the plastic feet sitting directly on the body. Is that how they all are, or is it just mine?
Thanks

I'm just about to fit mine. Just sized up the fit, and i'm not sure I like the idea of the plastic feet sitting directly on the body. Is that how they all are, or is it just mine?
Thanks
That’s how they go!!! Don’t forget the foam washers. That’s whet keeps the rain out.

Cheers. Didn’t come with foam washers, but it did come with a tube of sealant.

Bloody niggling me now. Picking away at the back of my brain.
Stud bar, flanged nylocs, and nylon washers on order.
Next weekends job :rolleyes:

In the process of buying a used T6 that does not have roof rails. Quite a few options out there for aftermarket rails but I have no idea which will be decent.

I'm guessing the cheaper ones might corrode more etc?

Keen to hear any recommendations.

Thanks.

The OEM rails and bars made by Omtec are good - available direct from VW dealers at a reasonable price too.
The cheaper ones don’t tend to have the same carrying capacity.
Whatever you get, make sure they are sealed properly or they will leak. There is a long thread on this somewhere on here.

Pete

This one

I finally bought my T6 so can now pick this up again.

Thanks for previous responses. The seal trick looks perfect.

A quick search suggests the Omtec ones are currently hard to come by (seen to be sold out everywhere).

Has anyone had any luck with bars from elsewhere? I was looking at these:

Ta

Back