Which? roof rails for a T6?

Could any one recommend good quality roof rails for my T6.1 Ascot Grey, not sure gloss or satin black.
Omtec seem to be the OEM supplier.

Colour-wise, black goes with everything. However it’s worth having a look at other vans in the Team Ascot Grey thread.

Could any one recommend good quality roof rails for my T6.1 Ascot Grey
I looked at a few rails for my Shuttle. After being a little alarmed at the load rating, or rather lack of it on some brands, I bought a pair of VW roof racks.
Much better load, and easy to put on and remove when not in use.
They have locks supplied and four sets of keys.
I also bought large tap washers, new bolts and penny washers, and along with a smear of plumbers silicon grease ensure the roof is sealed when the roof rack is in the garage.

Could any one recommend good quality roof rails for my T6.1 Ascot Grey, not sure gloss or satin black.
I would recommend OMTEC brand ones which I believe is the official supplier to VW. When I was looking for mine, they had the highest load rating at 75kg over most of the other van accessory websites which ranged from unspecified to 50kg.

I think OMTEC only come in silver or matt/satin black. regarding gloss(if available) vs satin I doubt you would be able to tell the difference between them up on the roof unless your especially tall!

After much research on putting rails and bars on, I decided to go with the 'proper' official VW (Omtec) ones partly because of the 75kg rating and also because I thought they would be a good fit. How wrong !! they are absolute rubbish fit, don't sit on the pads fully and the holes only just about lined up with the fixings in the roof with bit of a struggle. Really disappointed with this poor quality from VW. Putting together the cross bars, a blade had to be used to clean off mouldings to get rubbers to fit and the screw holes had to be cleared with a 6mm bit to get the screws through.
After all the faffing around, I then find that I have 3 left hand bar ends and 1 right hand. :mad:

I did use the leak free method of fitting which is great but, as I said, the holes don't line up centrally so was a struggle to get a long reach socket on to the top fixing nylon nut.

Hi all,

Just joined the Velle club with a Gen Six 2016.

Unfortunately it doesn't have roof rails or bars and I need to carry surf boards....

What's the verdict on which rails and bars to get? I'd like them black to match the side bars on my Velle...

Cheers in advance! And some pics to follow of the Velle tomorrow....its returned home after a 3hr drive and needs a clean!

Landy

The roof rails are all pretty similar design from different suppliers - I got my ones from here.

They also do the cross bars although I never bought any.

When you get the roof bars you MUST ignore the fitting instructions and follow this thread - involves buying some additional nuts, bolts and washers, otherwise they will leak into the van where they bolt to the roof.

I`ve managed to do them using Aluminum strips and drilling and tapping them M6 , and then sliding them in , only for show and won`t be carring anything

IMG_1706.jpg

Hi, looking to order some black roof bars(with cross bars) for my T6 Kombi LWB, there are so many different ones, just wanted to know the best ones . I was about to order the Leighton vans ones but just wanted to check on here first.

TIA

Roof bars are covered in this here thread, with roof rails / cross bars in this:

Back