T6 TDI450 boost pipe popped off

joeyturbo

First time poster, glad i found this forum a lot of great resources. this manual helped already: SSP564 The 2.0 litre TDI engine in the T6

Question: what caused this? do i need to investigate further?

Never had a single problem before and my MY2016 T6 went woosh - pop - no power on the motorway yesterday. Top pipe that goes towards the inter cooler had blown off and moved the intercooler in the process. I put it back on and it ran fine again for a while but then started audibly leaking and then came off again on the way home so i limped the rest of the way. Cant be sure i i tightened it properly as i only had a $2 shop screwdriver.

while its still off should i investigate further? its a bit oily in there, normal? could the intercooler have become blocked thus creating the back pressure? Whats the recommend process, should i just clean all the oil out tighten it all down and send it? New silicon pipes?

thanks in advance?

Oil in the intercooler is normal, it’s from the crankcase ventilation PCV that wasn’t separated out and any oil that has leaked past the turbocharger compressor seal.
If you think the oil is excessive check how much the oil level in the crankcase has dropped.
If in doubt remove the hose at the bottom of the intercooler and drain the sludge, jacking up the van on one side will help.
The intercooler won’t be blocked, more likely the sealing surface was oily and the clamp was not tight enough.
No need to spend a fortune on fancy coloured hoses, it won’t make any difference. Plenty of options on Autodoc if the OEM VW part is expensive.

Many thanks DXX very helpful.

After cleaning it all up, and having a proper look, seems the clamp wasn't properly aligned on the hose from factory. In case its helpful for others i have attached some pics for reference:

These hose clamps have small tangs that should bite into the hose. I assume these help stop the hose from slipping under the clamp and also maintain the alignment approx 5mm away from the end of the hose. looking at the first 2 pics you can see the tangs were hanging in the air and the hose clamp was riding at the end of the hose.

The last 2 pics show what i assume is the correct alignment for the hose clamp and it all back together. Note it helps to lift the intercooler off its locating pins and slide it forward as far as you can to get the hose back on.

Test drive was all good so i hope its sorted now.

I'm not a trained mechanic so don't take any of this as bible. Just thought it might help someone who has a similar problem in the future.

IMG_0951.JPG

IMG_0950.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

IMG_0955.JPG

Back