T6 newbie

Skyekiwi

Hi All
First post, just bought a 68 plate T32 Kombi and got a list of stuff to do so a lot of reading on here.
First job will be to get the suspension sorted for towing a caravan. The van has a factory fit detachable towbar but it sits about 50mm too high for level towing.
Keeping the existing towbar I’d like to lower the suspension 40-50mm with a coilover kit that will also improve the general ride.
Anyone done something similar or got any recommendations ?

Hi
I've had two T6 from Leighton vans with factory tow bar for towing my caravan and they were about the right level, I am sure he drops them 40mm. Agreed that standard is too high! I have today just bought T6.1 which I collect Friday and I’ve got it booked in on the way home at custom vanz to drop it 50mm with just springs (and a couple of other bits ) so yes 40mm drop imo makes it perfect and I am hoping the extra 10mm I will get away with! If you are not in a rush I can let you know on Friday as il be hooking the caravan straight up!

Definitely keen to hear how it alters the ride with just lowered springs. I want a better ride solo too so interested to know solo as well as towing difference.

My T32 6.1 4Motion Kombi has a set of Eibach Adjustable Comfort Springs fitted with a height reduction of 45mm . Amazing transformation from standard set up with a more comfortable ride coupled with a huge improvement in handling through the twisties down here in West Cornwall . Staying with 18 inch OE Sportline 2's probably helped too .
27 Sept 2020 (7).JPG

Last edited:
Definitely keen to hear how it alters the ride with just lowered springs. I want a better ride solo too so interested to know solo as well as towing difference.
If you want to lower the van 50mm and improve the ride, then I would not recommend springs alone. 50mm lowering springs on their own, especially on a T32, will have the opposite affect on ride quality, something many owners (including me when I first started out) have discovered. Many people start out with just springs, but then go on to upgrade the shocks also, or go for coilovers. This obviously costs more in the long run, so I would recommend upgrading the shocks if you want fixed lowering on springs, or if you want the ability to adjust it later down the line go for coilovers. I'm also in somerset and can supply and fit any of these options, whether it be springs on their own, springs and shocks or coilovers.

Drop me a PM if you're interested and we can talk in more detail and I can help you choose the right suspension set up for your exact needs.

The previous T6s I had were spring only lowered but had 20” 275/40 tyres also and the ride was bloody harsh! Some of this must be down to those wheels and tyres. I am going to leave the T6.1 on the 17 Devonports for now and run them with a 50mm spring only drop I will report back on the ride versus the setup I had on the T6

The previous T6s I had were spring only lowered but had 20” 275/40 tyres also and the ride was bloody harsh! Some of this must be down to those wheels and tyres. I am going to leave the T6.1 on the 17 Devonports for now and run them with a 50mm spring only drop I will report back on the ride versus the setup I had on the T6
Very true that the 20s don't help, but on the right suspension you would be surprised how comfortable you can be at 50mm down with 20" wheels.

Back