T6.1 diesel heater install

Needing some help please… I wanted to check tonight to see if I need to order a pick up pipe for my 21 plate T6.1 panel van or if I have the sacred nipple.

I managed to get sight of the fuel pump and it looks like I do, but there’s already something connected to it? I ordered my van new and can’t think what it could be and how I go about tapping into it.

Any help would be great! Photo isn’t great as it’s a screen shot from a video.

IMG_2469.png

Have you got a coolant heater already fitted?
Honestly I haven’t got a clue, it’s a 150PS DSG if that helps? I’m I right in thinking I’ll be able to connect to that?

Thanks for the quick reply, hoping to get it installed this week as I’ve got a few days off.

Look on the driver's door pillar for a Webasto/Eberspacher sticker - if you have a Webasto it will have a sticker like this:

Untitled 21.jpg

Well - there is certainly a connector on your 3rd nipple!

Are you sure that you haven't got a heater installed anywhere? That looks like a fuel connector and not just a blanking one.
I would be inclined to get a tee connector ready to clip to the sender unit and just re-connect that odd connector back up, that way it will still function the same. I really can't see why there would be a connector on there with no heater fitted. Have an ordinary elbow ready also in case that connector is redundant.
Maybe someone has started an install in the past - any chance of tracing that pipe to see where it goes? You may find the other the other end is just blocked off.

Well - there is certainly a connector on your 3rd nipple!

Are you sure that you haven't got a heater installed anywhere? That looks like a fuel connector and not just a blanking one.
I would be inclined to get a tee connector ready to clip to the sender unit and just re-connect that odd connector back up, that way it will still function the same. I really can't see why there would be a connector on there with no heater fitted. Have an ordinary elbow ready also in case that connector is redundant.
Maybe someone has started an install in the past - any chance of tracing that pipe to see where it goes? You may find the other the other end is just blocked off.
Positive! This is the spec I ordered and it’s never been in the hands of anyone else. I’m wondering if the 80L tank as something to do with it?

IMG_2471.jpeg
IMG_2472.jpeg

I was thinking that but I don’t think they’ll be enough space to tee off there due to the angle of the connector. I’m going to have to trace down the pipe as it doesn’t make any sense.

Thank you, my necks already broke from trying to have a look.

Front looks normal, no extra connections.

IMG_2479.jpeg

I have this at the rear, not sure what it could be?

IMG_2483.png

That must be connected to something! I would have thought that you could tee off that connector though ( whatever it is for ), I can't think what else would need to take fuel from the tank other than a heater.

Plenty of room for a tee for either end - TTM789ID6 - T-Type 4 6mm 8mm 10mm Quick Connect Disconnect Release Fuel Line Coupler Hose Connector | eBay

You will also need a 8mm to 5mm pipe joiner as there doesn't appear to be a 8mm/5mm tee in the Bundy fittings that I can find.

Last edited:
I wonder if the factory just added that extra take off as a matter of course to a particular run of builds but I would expect to be able to access the end of it somewhere fairly easily.

That must be connected to something! I would have thought that you could tee off that connector though ( whatever it is for ), I can't think what else would need to take fuel from the tank other than a heater.

Plenty of room for a tee for either end - TTM789ID6 - T-Type 4 6mm 8mm 10mm Quick Connect Disconnect Release Fuel Line Coupler Hose Connector | eBay

You will also need a 8mm to 5mm pipe joiner as there doesn't appear to be a 8mm/5mm tee in the Bundy fittings that I can find.
I’m not going to be able to sleep at night now haha wish I could just drop the tank.

That looks ideal thank you! I’ll get that ordered but definitely going to trace down the pipe. I’ll report back with my findings haha.

I’m not going to be able to sleep at night now haha wish I could just drop the tank.

That looks ideal thank you! I’ll get that ordered but definitely going to trace down the pipe. I’ll report back with my findings haha.
send me your vin i will have a look and see if i can see anything

So I have have a aux heater by the looks of it, noticed the small little exhaust at the front. Looks the same as below. Makes no sense to me haha

IMG_2486.jpeg

Reactions: CAB
IMG_2497.jpeg
IMG_2495.jpeg

Confirmation I’ve got a factory aux heater fitted without being spec’d or door sticker.

Finished up my Eberspacher install the other day.

Had a minor issue on initial start up which was due to having low fuel and the drivers side jacked up. Tried 4 times trying to get the system to prime before I realised it’s probably not picking fuel up from the tank. Put it back down on the ground and tried several more times which resulted in locking out the heaters ECU. I had to go to a Eberspacher dealer with diagnostics to unlock it. Lesson learnt make sure you suck the fuel up to the pump before attempting the initial start up. Positive thing was they checked the install and were happy with it so good to have peace of mind. I did have to de-pin the plug for the exhaust valve and re-route the cable through a different hole due to the location I put the heater. The cables around the exhaust have got a kevlar wrap on now just forgot to take a picture once it arrived.

I choose to fit mine under the drivers seat, the space was there and I wanted to leave the option of fitting CAK underslung water tanks and gas tank infront of the spare wheel. Probably have to adjust some pipes but I’ll deal with that when the time comes.

IMG_2507.jpeg
IMG_2509.jpeg
IMG_2510.jpegIMG_2511.jpegIMG_2553.jpegIMG_2530.jpegIMG_2531.jpegIMG_2532.jpegIMG_2524.jpegIMG_2525.jpegIMG_2527.jpegIMG_2519.jpegIMG_2546.jpegIMG_2533.jpegIMG_2529.jpegIMG_2528.jpegIMG_2572.jpeg

Back