Should I do it?

Soliour

Hi, this is my first thread after sitting reading so many others. This is such a great resource, one I hope to be using and contributing to much more.

Having owned a T4 for 16 years I'm now in a position to purchase a used T6. Living with the T4 has given me a good idea of what I'm looking for in a converted van and after considering self build, converted or a bit of both I'm now looking at a fully converted van that meets my exact requirements, LWB, DSG, sliding bed, pop-top - the list goes on.
Where I'm hesitating is that the van is a 2017 BiTurbo and having read the various threads on here I'm somewhat nervous about forking out what I paid for my first house on a van that may present me with a huge bill in the near future.
It's a private sale with no warranty but I can add one with the AA so would be interested to hear of other forum members' experience or recommendations, either with the AA or others.
Like the old "bad news" adage I've read many more tales of BiTurbos failing and of costly repair bills. Would love to hear from forum members with DSG BiTurbos going beyond 100k miles without problems - are there any of you out there?
All advice welcomed!

It really depends on your driving style choosing the right engine. Plenty of people here happy with converted vans with 102HP engines. I had a go at one once, and uphill It would struggle to go in 4th gear. Both my T5 and T6 were 150hp as standard. Had to remap them immediately.
Now driving the Btdi 204hp and it’s a beast.
It moves the Van with the agility of a car with a 1.6TD engine with a lot more torque.
Reliability is the elephant in the room. Oil changes every 6k miles, I keep an eye on oil consumption, so far at 25k no use of oil between changes.
If you look at the market in Germany you’ll see for sale lots of Btdi with well over 200k miles.
However if you don’t like gambling forget the Btdi. Horror stories in this forum.

It really depends on your driving style choosing the right engine. Plenty of people here happy with converted vans with 102HP engines. I had a go at one once, and uphill It would struggle to go in 4th gear. Both my T5 and T6 were 150hp as standard. Had to remap them immediately.
Now driving the Btdi 204hp and it’s a beast.
We'd be making annual trips to the Alps and that's one of the main drivers for replacing the T4. It (was) 114hp and some of the mountain roads were a struggle - we resorted to much longer routes to miss the climbs. 150hp would probably be OK, 102hp I feel would not. I also want it to be a comfortable drive for me and my wife - anything like the T4 in the Alps and I'd be doing all the driving!
I've always had oil and filter changes annually even with low mileage. I cycle to work so its use would just be for holidays and weekends so probably not more than about 6k per year, I can certainly live with oil changes at that sort of frequency.

Two responses, neither yet filling me with confidence! Anyone want to try and convince me? :)

Reactions: CAB
I had (on the fleet) a T5.1 Caravelle BiTDI that we took to over 100k miles which was as sweet as a nut and we all absolutely loved.

We currently have on the fleet a T6 Caravelle BiTDI on 50k (and climbing) and has been faultless.

And I've just taken delivery at the start of the year of my daily-driver BiTDI Kombi now up to a staggering 6k miles!

So in my experience of 3 BiTDI vans - they are superb and trouble-free (apart from normal regular maintenance)

Am I in the minority? I don't know?

I had a T5.1 180ps biTDI, sold it at 70k miles to a guy who was going to convert it, AFAIK, it’s still going strong. We currently own a 204ps DSG with 60k miles, normal oil consumption. A Millers oil test came back normal back end of last year. It seems that the secret of any modern engine is plenty of oil changes & long runs. They don’t seem to like short slow runs, but diesel’s never have, they need to get up to temperature & the occasional spanking.

Reactions: CAB
My mate has had a 10 plate T5.1 from new. 180 Bi Turbo. Only issue he’s had is the old (now updated) EGR. That’s was replaced years ago!
He travels back and forth from he’s 2nd home in Wales and is still fine. Out of the 1000’s built you’ll only hear about ones that go wrong.

I had 3 Transporter, so far all crap :) .
The T6.1 didn’t give any mech issues ( at 25K miles it’s the way it should go). However it was plagued with electronics issues (17 times at the dealer for gremlins…)

Thanks for all the comments. Have now viewed the van whilst it's lovely on 57k there has been no oil change for 14 months and 7k miles and 2 intervals of 20k miles between services before that. Leaves me pretty uneasy given the advice here about 6k oil changes.

Thanks for all the comments. Have now viewed the van whilst it's lovely on 57k there has been no oil change for 14 months and 7k miles and 2 intervals of 20k miles between services before that. Leaves me pretty uneasy given the advice here about 6k oil changes.

Technically that is VWs recommended service interval. If the van and price are good it's worth an oil analysis and a compression test. Which is the only thing that will show up actual wear.

The 6k oil change while probably very safe (and close to what I'll do on mine aiming for every 12 months) is a purely made up number.

Technically that is VWs recommended service interval. If the van and price are good it's worth an oil analysis and a compression test. Which is the only thing that will show up actual wear.

The 6k oil change while probably very safe (and close to what I'll do on mine aiming for every 12 months) is a purely made up number.
Thanks - it still looks like only 3 main services in 7 years which concerns me, but I may have missed some of the detail in the excitement of viewing the van. I was considering asking for an oil analysis, hadn't thought of a compression test but that makes sense.

Thanks - it still looks like only 3 main services in 7 years which concerns me, but I may have missed some of the detail in the excitement of viewing the van. I was considering asking for an oil analysis, hadn't thought of a compression test but that makes sense.
As far as I remember VW say 2 years or 20k miles .. so sounds like it's by the book serviced.

I wouldn't buy a bitdi without those 2 checks. If the seller won't agree I'd walk away.

They don’t seem to like short slow runs, but diesel’s never have, they need to get up to temperature & the occasional spanking.
I think some people forget this.
The way vehicles are used these days (with three quarters of trips being under five miles) that’s going to harm a modern diesel. Plus the more complex the engine and the heavier the vehicle… it all stacks up.

So as for the OP it seems their travel habits will be fine for a 204 - using the van for long journeys only.
So it’s just how the van has been used up to this point that’s the question.
Tricky one.

I think some people forget this.
The way vehicles are used these days (with three quarters of trips being under five miles) that’s going to harm a modern diesel. Plus the more complex the engine and the heavier the vehicle… it all stacks up.

So as for the OP it seems their travel habits will be fine for a 204 - using the van for long journeys only.
So it’s just how the van has been used up to this point that’s the question.
Tricky one.
My journeys would certainly be well over 5 miles, but the complexity of a modern diesel engine is something I'd not really thought through until coming close to buying one. Forking out big money prompts you to think quite carefully and for me I think the cons outweigh the pros for the 204. A difficult realisation as the van's a beauty!

My journeys would certainly be well over 5 miles, but the complexity of a modern diesel engine is something I'd not really thought through until coming close to buying one. Forking out big money prompts you to think quite carefully and for me I think the cons outweigh the pros for the 204. A difficult realisation as the van's a beauty!
I have a 199 bitdi and it's a fantastic drive. Got power in every scenario and feels super refined for a diesel. I think it's really the engine to have.

Do I think it's going to eat its self and bankrupt me.... Sometimes.

Only you will know if you can make peace with it.

You are right. It’s a made up number. Or it’s a comfortable number! 5/6 k miles oil change or 6 months or change at the very beginning of Winter in December. Or just before a long trip (3/4k miles).

If my van was just a means of transport I’d be checking in with a psychiatrist. The intention was to always use it as mobile accommodation and the days accumulated to date amount to around 2 years. Therefore it’s saved me a small fortune in accommodation, taxi’s and restaurant bills.
Campervans are like boats, always something to fix, improve or service. Don’t spend all of your money on the initial purchase, especially if you rely on others to maintain it.

Back