Roof bed strength

Paul Sussex

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi, couple of weeks in to owning a T6 poptop.

Sorted the squeaking too thanks to all the useful advice.

Away for first time next weekend :) and been trying things out this weekend down the seafront - expect I will forget something on the day ;)

Anyway tried the roof bed with my wife (9st) all fine, then tried my 16st without her and the bed board flex’s - not sure if that is normal (the flex not my weight) what kind of weight should it take (I don’t know the converter - looks to be about 20mm chipboard.

Is there a way of strengthening it (either with bracing or replacement) as would like to get on top ;)

Thank you in advance to all those more knowledgable than me - which is about all of you.

Hey Paul. The answer to your question will depend on the make of the pop-top you have. My Hilo bedboard is rated up to 300kg, for example, so has no difficulty with the combined 23+st of me & the missus, but I'm sure most other brands will have a lower limit.

Thanks Bav, as I don’t know the make it’s bit tricky (assume makers don’t leave a signature anywhere) - thinking maybe I need to change it for something stronger as would love to get up there away from the wife, son and grand kids ;)

Not sure how difficult that is to do as a DIY or if the roof frame would take the weight.

A few pics from the inside and the outside, with the roof both up & down, might help someone id the brand of your roof. :thumbsup:

Ok Bav, thanks will give it a go tomorrow as a bit dark and not ventured out in the dark yet or tried the candle powered headlights i hear about ;) Guess that will need to be the next think on the list - but as blown most of the money on the van, insurance and tax probably just going to try a bulb swap ;(

Reactions: Bav
Chipboard or plywood? 20mm plywood would be very strong, 20mm chipboard would be very heavy. If it is chipboard, swap it for ply.

Hi drinfinity,

Feeling the side edge think chipboard, so will look into the plywood option as that sounds much stronger / any idea if that is difficult as as DIY option - and what weight 20mm ply would take?

As long as you put a beam of some sort along the front edge, I expect you will be fine. The standard approach seems to be 18mm ply with a curved aluminium end, or you can use timber. It’s an easy DIY job - cut out a rectangle, cover in carpet and screw in the existing fittings.

Hi, been out to have a better look and take some photos.

Looks to me to be 18mm ply and not chipboard as I first thought, there is a curved aluminium strip at the front.

Photos in case anyone recognises the make / converter.

So should the ply flex in the middle with 16st ie is that normal?

IMG_6169.jpeg

IMG_6170.jpeg

IMG_6172.jpeg

IMG_6168.jpeg

IMG_6164.jpeg

IMG_6165.jpeg

IMG_6164.jpeg

Back