Loose wheel

Steved55

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all. 500 miles into trip down to Italy, luckily on a back road in a village when I thought we had a flat. Turns out nsf wheel was loose! I fitted my spare set of 18"wheels for the trip as they had new tires but used 15mm spacers and extended bolts. I'm confident the bolts are correct profile for the wheel. Other 3 wheels fine and done a further 200 miles since jacking up and re tightening. Any other explanation other than operator error when fitting?
Steve

Eek, could have been nasty. Did you grease the bolts? Were they properly torqued or done feel? Did you re-check the torque after 50 miles or so? Maybe the wheel or spacer wasn’t quite seated correctly. Are the bolt’s definitely long enough rather than just adding 15mm to the other bolts?

Tbh bolts were tightened by hand, not torqued - but I've been tightening bolts by hand for over 50 years and am comfortable that I tighten adequately. If the spacer hadn't seated properly - it does utilize a spigot ring, I would have thought I would have had vibration from the start? Bolts engage for about 10 threads so plenty long

Tbh bolts were tightened by hand, not torqued - but I've been tightening bolts by hand for over 50 years and am comfortable that I tighten adequately. If the spacer hadn't seated properly - it does utilize a spigot ring, I would have thought I would have had vibration from the start? Bolts engage for about 10 threads so plenty long
Should be tightened to 180nm which is pretty tight by hand. I bought a torque wrench for wheels and brake calipers and it’s some force to hit the 180.

Hand tightening generally gives pretty varying results, which are even worse if copperslip or grease are used on the bolts. Another possibility is expansion/contraction of the spacer (aluminium I assume) causing the bolts to loosen. Did you put copperslip between the spacer and hub and/or wheel? If so that may have caused the bolts to loosen as the copperslip settles (even by a tiny fraction).

I’d say a good lesson for us all is to recheck the bolts after 50 miles or so. I’m about to change mine (for some smarter black ones!) and will now make sure I recheck them (I normally forget)!

Had similar last year when fitting winter wheels. I've changed hundreds of wheels over the years and use both impact gun and breaker bar and can only put it down to getting old!
Mine was much the same mileage before I noticed too and similarly was NSF. I run 20mm bolt on spacers and have for 60k+ miles so don't think it's that.

If the others are fine just put it down to human error but maybe recheck in a hundred or so miles.

Lots of bolts I’ll tighten through experience and by feel. Safety related - eg brakes, suspension & wheel bolts and cylinder head fixings always with a torque wrench.

Thanks guys - so to get this correct - my wheel wrench is approx 0.5m long, so I need to exert a force of 360n which is 36kg?

And yes - copper slipped mating faces but not threads

Thanks guys - so to get this correct - my wheel wrench is approx 0.5m long, so I need to exert a force of 360n which is 36kg?
Correct. I just fitted some replacement bolts and with this thread (pun unintended!) in mind I did a little experimenting. Done by feel alone I was always low, even when I gave it some welly (not full stand on the lever welly of course!). Also trying to judge the force by how tight they were when I undid them didn’t work. I then used a torque wrench and did them at different settings from 140 to 180nm (32-41kg force) and it was nigh on impossible to tell the difference in feel with any accuracy whatsoever. What I can say is the 41kg I needed to apply with my 45cm torque wrench to get 180nm is a considerable force. Way more than the normal 90-120nm most vehicles use. From this fiddling I would suggest it would be really easy to end up with inconsistent and low torqued bolts doing it by feel alone. More so if not done very regularly and the norm is not 180nm so one is trying to just add an extra tweak. That, combined with any tiny issues with the spacer, may have led to your loose bolts.

p.s. do you have any pics with the spacers added? I’m on 18s and keep wondering about adding some.

Back