Clutch to the floor

Bondyt6

Hi all

2016 euro 5 t6 t32 6 speed manual

Jumped in my van last week and the clutch went straight to the floor, with like a suck noise, and wouldnt return. Woudnt pump back up either, had to manually move it in and out by hand but nothing happened.

When I bled the system alot of air came out of the bleed screw and like dirty oil, the clutch returned to normal, and is working fine now. No leaks in the system that I can see.

Has anybody had this issue before, I'm wondering do I have a faulty master cylinder and will it happen again.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same issue with a Passat and indeed, it turned out to be as you have said, a faulty master cylinder.

Hope you get it sorted

Just had the same on my golf. Hole in the master cylinder that squirted fluid out when clutch pressed. £300 to fix. I think the cylinder cost about £125.

Just had the same on my golf. Hole in the master cylinder that squirted fluid out when clutch pressed. £300 to fix. I think the cylinder cost about £125.
No sign of any fluid or a leak, maybe air is getting in via the master cylinder.

My master cylinder failed 8 months ago. Clutch pedal straight to floor and small pool of oil under car.
Luckily , I was at home in carport.
VW au. fixed under goodwill, including hire car, as 2018 van had only done 30,000kms. but 7 months out of warranty.

Hi all

2016 euro 5 t6 t32 6 speed manual

Jumped in my van last week and the clutch went straight to the floor, with like a suck noise, and wouldnt return. Woudnt pump back up either, had to manually move it in and out by hand but nothing happened.

When I bled the system alot of air came out of the bleed screw and like dirty oil, the clutch returned to normal, and is working fine now. No leaks in the system that I can see.

Has anybody had this issue before, I'm wondering do I have a faulty master cylinder and will it happen again.

Thanks
This has now happend to mine 2017 t6
6 gear manual 27k on the clock

Only does it now and again but today it's flat right to the floor,

What was the outcome

Cheers

Luke

What was the outcome

Cheers

Luke
Hi Luke

Sounds like the same fault as me, the slave cylinder for your clutch has failed and it is letting air into the system, so will need it replaced, which means gearbox out etc because on the 6 speed it's inside the gearbox housing, big job. The actual cylinder was only £40, I was fortunate that my nephew done mine cheap for me, I think VW was looking £1200 plus. I did bleed mine a couple of times and got a few hundred more miles out of it but it could fail at any point leaving you stranded.

Thanks
Phil

Looking at labour cost it’s probably worthwhile changing the clutch and DMF at the same time.
Plus a re-greasing of the inner drive shaft splines.

What was the outcome

Cheers

Luke
Mine did the same, Slave cylinder failure at 34k last year, cost me £1150 for slave cylinder, clutch and flywheel .

Hi Luke

Sounds like the same fault as me, the slave cylinder for your clutch has failed and it is letting air into the system, so will need it replaced, which means gearbox out etc because on the 6 speed it's inside the gearbox housing, big job. The actual cylinder was only £40, I was fortunate that my nephew done mine cheap for me, I think VW was looking £1200 plus. I did bleed mine a couple of times and got a few hundred more miles out of it but it could fail at any point leaving you stranded.

Thanks
Phil
Thanks Phil,
Only done 27k but out of warenty,
I when it rains it pours ☔

Best be saving up my pennies.

just after I've finish the ceiling as well.
Never again

All the best
Luke

20220912_211937.jpg

20220912_212020.jpg

20220912_212410.jpg

20220912_212432.jpg

Back