Cancelled my 2 weeks in Tenerife

So common...
We lived in the Royal Town of Sutton Coldfield for many years, where people would stab you for a tenner, and that was just the neighbours! Walsall folk are a bit thicker but far more genuine, let you out in traffic and everythink!

We lived in the Royal Town of Sutton Coldfield for many years, where people would stab you for a tenner, and that was just the neighbours! Walsall folk are a bit thicker but far more genuine, let you out in traffic and everythink!
I can vouch for that, I literally just got back from Walsall (picked up a cheap 20 inch space saver)and everyone seemed relaxed and happy. Quite nice too.

There's enough different types of English in the English language to learn afore we learn any others, here in the east mids (Leicestershire) we call a cob a cob, ham cob, chip cob, bacon cob etc. A few miles down the road in Cov its a batch! What's a batch?
Here in Northampton we're still celebrating beating the Tigers even if Saturday against the Quins (who conveniently got one of their ex players to referee) didn't go our way.
Breadwise it's floury or soft bap (not enough real teeth for a crusty roll) and if it's got bacon, sausage and egg in it's a breakfast roll.:thumbsup:

We never go all inclusive or a package holiday.
We always rent the apartment buy the flights then eat out twice a day when we’re there and spend money in the shops and bars.
Bottom line it costs me £5k for my family holiday.
There’s no way I’m going to be spending that money somewhere where a huge portion of the locals don’t see me as welcome.
I’m not expecting to be served hand and foot but I definitely want a friendly atmosphere on my holidays.
I totally get why the locals aren’t happy but this situation of there being fewer and fewer properties for the locals to rent because it’s more profitable to rent them to tourists is not the tourists fault.
They should be protesting about the shameful way their government has let this situation happen and Lobby for changes so that the huge income generated by tourism actually goes back into their economy and not abroad.
Again SFA to do with the tourists.
There are lots of areas of Spain, and its islands, within a hour of the main airports which are far enough away from the tourist hot-spots that will gladly welcome you to spend money in their local economy. Usually you find the quality and affordability of food and accommodation much better too.
Fortunately, I also find that "Soy Escoces" and "Je suis Ecossais" can stand me in good stead.
Completely agree.

However - I've heard this from French and Spanish friends....
The 'English' tend to say please and thank you a lot more than locals. If a local did it the same way as Englander, it would be sarcasm and possibly a little rude.
Because we are from where we are from, we get a free pass as it seems we are known for being the best tourists - or the worst. I think that they can figure out which one as soon as someone walks in.
The Spanish refer to them as "Les por favores" :rolleyes:
In northern Europe "Takk" was very useful.

A chunk of my team are based in Spain currently and a language quirk I've noticed is the use of "perfect" where a native English speaker may use "great" - I assume that comes from the Spanish.

I've also found Takk widely used in business travels and Scandinavia, which I found interesting as some of the languages in the area have very little in common but Takk seems to be the exception.

I'm ashamed to say I rather rely on the reasonably good English locals have in the general in the Nordics. My attempts at basic Finnish and Swedish were met with some good natured but very obvious laughter at my expense.

Here in Northampton we're still celebrating beating the Tigers even if Saturday against the Quins (who conveniently got one of their ex players to referee) didn't go our way.
Breadwise it's floury or soft bap (not enough real teeth for a crusty roll) and if it's got bacon, sausage and egg in it's a breakfast roll.:thumbsup:
Funny my brother in law gave the excuse of the other team providing the ref for my 8 year olds nephew losing on Sunday.

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
Thought there might be a bit of professionalism with Quins providing the ground and referee but Care smirking after his mate letting him off a second yellow and then being taken off before he could get a third.
Don't matter really as we've had a pretty good year and we beat them on our dung heap even with a neutral ref! :whistle: :sneaky:

nice,

but,

what makes you say " I’m now no longer welcome "

i know there has been stuff in the news recently, but i also know the News people are "click-bait" merchants.

so is it real news or just click bait spin?

a buddy of mine is off to Tenerife next week for 14days, he also goes every year. ( sometimes twice) and has no problem heading out there.
Told you it was UK click bait BS.

The UK media should be ashamed of itself.

This is effecting small business here and in Spain, all because the UK media want to earn click cash.

Told you it was UK click bait BS.

The UK media should be ashamed of itself.

This is effecting small business here and in Spain, all because the UK media want to earn click cash.

More quality reportage from The Sun. They should be ashamed of themselves.

I worked with a geordie for about 8 years and loved dishing out the "your a soft southern fairy" but hated the Northern monkey come back

Reactions: CAB
Back