Campsite costs UK

Just to revive this one! I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who gets the monthly emails from 'Motorhoming France' but the latest issue just hit my in box and here's one small extract:

'ONLYCAMP NEW RATES
The French campsite company Onlycamp has introduced new lower rates across its campsites. The 51 site company now has just two rates, campsites with a swimming pool are €22 in July/August & €15 for the rest of the year, sites with no pool are €15 & €12. Electric is extra at €5/ night.'

TBH, I've never knowingly stayed at an Onlycamp site and have no idea what they're like but I reckon it's still kind of illustrative of the gap / yawning chasm between UK and european attitudes to pitch fees.

Just to revive this one! I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who gets the monthly emails from 'Motorhoming France' but the latest issue just hit my in box and here's one small extract:

'ONLYCAMP NEW RATES
The French campsite company Onlycamp has introduced new lower rates across its campsites. The 51 site company now has just two rates, campsites with a swimming pool are €22 in July/August & €15 for the rest of the year, sites with no pool are €15 & €12. Electric is extra at €5/ night.'

TBH, I've never knowingly stayed at an Onlycamp site and have no idea what they're like but I reckon it's still kind of illustrative of the gap / yawning chasm between UK and european attitudes to pitch fees.
Just had a look at their website, all the sites look really quite nice - decent facilities, not a big 'holiday park' feel, more a back to basics but with decent, clean facilities.

Those prices are ridiculous. 15 euros a night, WITH a swimming pool? Outrageous! :rofl:

The problem for me with French swimming pools is that my days of looking good in budgie smugglers are probably gone now!

The problem for me with French swimming pools is that my days of looking good in budgie smugglers are probably gone now!
They allow boxer style swim shorts now, if they have an inner trunk netting thing. How they check, I don't really know.

Always makes me laugh when some french 80yr old appears in budgie smugglers he has had since he was 14.....

I think the budgie smuggler rule only applies to public swimming pools too. The campsite in Les Gets I was at last year wasn't bothered about my full on board shorts, anyway. And for the ones who do need right shorts, the bigger square trunk type are allowed too, they give a little more coverage! :rofl:

I think the budgie smuggler rule only applies to public swimming pools too. The campsite in Les Gets I was at last year wasn't bothered about my full on board shorts, anyway. And for the ones who do need right shorts, the bigger square trunk type are allowed too, they give a little more coverage! :rofl:
Hard to believe the French care about hygiene!!! I’ve seen many a Frenchmen just stop a take a piss anywhere,whilst walking through town. They probably piss in the pool too

Hard to believe the French care about hygiene!!! I’ve seen many a Frenchmen just stop a take a piss anywhere,whilst walking through town. They probably piss in the pool too
Urine is sterile when it leaves the human body.

Reactions: Bav
I never understood this rule and wonder what horrific think happened that made them introduce it nationally

Hard to believe the French care about hygiene!!!
The budgie smuggler rule, if it’s still a thing, can’t be to do with hygiene.

Imagine you were a water molecule- you could pass in and out of a guys trunks so many times in the twenty minutes he’s splashing about or doing lengths. You could swish around whichever bits you felt like while on the inside and then pop back out. With so many of your water molecule mates doing the same thing other, different and perhaps more sinister molecules, will join your party. In and out through the flimsy material, nobody to stop you.

Thankfully chlorine exists.

The budgie smuggler rule, if it’s still a thing, can’t be to do with hygiene.

Imagine you were a water molecule- you could pass in and out of a guys trunks so many times in the twenty minutes he’s splashing about or doing lengths. You could swish around whichever bits you felt like while on the inside and then pop back out. With so many of your water molecule mates doing the same thing other, different and perhaps more sinister molecules, will join your party. In and out through the flimsy material, nobody to stop you.

Thankfully chlorine exists.
It is actually about hygiene, of sorts - it's about not wearing shorts etc that people have been wearing to the beach, in the town, and so bringing with them dirt, sand, and other pollution. Basically, forcing you to wear swimwear you wouldn't wear to pick up your pain au chocolat at the local boulangerie that morning, and wear all day long before jumping in the pool. Which people would if they allowed normal baggy shorts.

Also, so I was told, you remove less water from the pool when you exit with budgie smugglers than you would with Bermuda shorts.

The budgie smuggler rule was extant in at least two French sites that we stayed in last year.

Thanks for the info Ayjay , never heard of Onlycamp before but i'm gonna have a look and see if we can fit one of these in on our next visit :thumbsdown:

Just tried to book a site in Padstow for next week (Monday to Friday). Dennis Cove would have been £160 with electric for the 4 nights if they had any room (but they didn't). I then tried Tregella Farm which is on the road from Padstow to Wadebridge (about 1.5Km from Tesco if anybody knows it!) - they had room but I thought they were really taking the p1ss charging £40 for a patch of grass in a field without electricity. We've not camped there for years but IIRC the field's not all that flat in places either. In the end, I looked at Easewell Farm in Mortehoe, near Woolacombe where a 'superpitch' for the same 4 nights was £75 and booked. We've been to Mortehoe a lot and it would have neem nice to go somewhere different but we can live with that. We've stayed at Easewell last year and know that the 'super pitches' are huge with electricity, TV point and dedicated water point. It's not far from the village which has a few options for food and drink and their other site just across the road has a cinema if the weather really turns crappy (and threre's anything decent showing!).
PS. Forgot to say that Easewell Farm and the place over the road (Twitchen House) have pools and a fitness centre as well (but we won't be using either!).

Last edited:
Back