Paint Finish / Quality on my Van

michael88

Hi, I've bought a 2019 T6 - 24k miles in Candy White, might be a bit of a lemon. Previously a work van I went into this with a view that it was in fact a work van that will have had some scrapes and paint and wont be perfect and that not an enthusiast owned sports car so was willing to look past defects etc. Bought from a VW dealer with the intention of converting to a camper.

Clearly had paint in multiple areas, a few days into ownership and in dry weather I've had a chance to look over the paint properly and there are some areas of concern that I don't think are normal so wondering if anyone else's T6' had paint issues like mine. Should I be concerned, or are they all like that? Hope I am not being petty but happy to don the flame suit if my expectations are too high! I am worried these will require attention/a respray in future. Thanks

Pictures attached to try show the following:

Rust on lower sliding door and near the petrol cap
Discolouration/colour mismatch between passenger door and 'rear panel' (may not show up well in photos)
Chipping paint in the gutter/seams where the window is
Overspray evidence on sliding door sensor thing (ok, no big deal)
Above the passenger door there appears to be a weld mark that has been painted, unsure if this is a seam and thats where something has been resprayed at some point.
Some obvious overspray/runs on the inside of the sliding door.

20240422_135947.jpg

20240422_140019.jpg

20240422_140043.jpg

20240422_140053.jpg

20240422_150503.jpg

20240422_150516.jpg

20240422_150531.jpg

Did you check a site like rapidcarcheck.co.uk that it wasn't a write-off?
How long have you had it?

It just looks like a bad tidy up job to me. Main dealer or not, it's a used vehicle with history. I'm surprised you didn't pick up on the sliding door contacts when you viewed it, then looked at the rest of it more closely. However if you bought it without viewing in person, you have some come back through the 14 day distance sales act.

It just looks like a bad tidy up job to me. Main dealer or not, it's a used vehicle with history. I'm surprised you didn't pick up on the sliding door contacts when you viewed it, then looked at the rest of it more closely. However if you bought it without viewing in person, you have some come back through the 14 day distance sales act.

Me too, feel a bit silly As I would have spotted this sort of stuff a mile off if it was a car i was interested in. I picked up on the overspray but I did go there with the view it was a used van and that it might have been a little tatty in places.

Main concern is the weld at that seam really and the door.

Paid a deposit over the Internet, viewed in person, paid via bank transfer a week later. Then collected. So don't know how distance selling works in my case.

Those seams between the front doors and the sliding doors are factory, although yours looks like they've had some paint.

1000007408.jpg

The rusty bits look like stone chips or wear that's not been seen to, but it's definitely had a respray on the door or side as that's quite a colour difference!

Those seams between the front doors and the sliding doors are factory, although yours looks like they've had some paint.

View attachment 237952

The rusty bits look like stone chips or wear that's not been seen to, but it's definitely had a respray on the door or side as that's quite a colour difference!
The seam on that white van looks like its had a lot more than a bit of paint. The welding on it looks terrible to me, definitely not as it came from the factory, and makes me wonder along with the other paint issues just exactly what has been covered up.

I'd be tempted to pay for a carVertical check to get more detail of the van's history. You say you've had an HPI check done, but not all background checks are equal.

I'd be tempted to pay for a carVertical check to get more detail of the van's history. You say you've had an HPI check done, but not all background checks are equal.

Carvertical, hpi, rapidcarcheck all show nothing.

I guess next step is to see if I can get rid of it, have I any recourse. Surely this exceeds your average cosmetic damage?

Thanks

Reactions: Bav
White overspay on the black plastics is a big give away and the lack of factory PPF in some places if its missing. Without question though not factory paint. Mines a 2019 T6 and the paint is flewless.

Car vertical would be interesting to see for sure.

There’s a photo showing a pretty poor painted MIG weld. I suspect the view from the other side will will reveal what has taken place.
I’d be tempted to start pulling the lining off. Use Timestamp camera to record it on video along with the reg plate number and VIN.

Back