Kenwood DMX9720XDS - USB C wont work with iPhone 15

NewbieCamper

VIP Member
I have just fitted the Kenwood unit into my T6.1 . Supplied by Transporter HQ with the T6.1 fitting kit. All fitted and working fine except for the 2 new USB C sockets in the front next to the 12v socket. Checked the circuits and power all there and lighting up. I spoke to Mitch at THQ who has been really helpful and did some checks with Kenwood. It appears that this replacement circuit board will not work with iPhone 15 due to insufficient power from the socket which is too low for the phones requirement. It does work with older iphones (just tried my wifes iphone 12 which worked fine). This is a real disappointment for a unit costing this much and presumably any subsequent iPhones will have the same power requirement. Hopefully this will force Kenwood to update their circuit board. Heres hoping I will get a new one when available.

What's happening on the iPhone 15 - is it actually repeatedly starting to charge and then cutting out - which is the normal pattern when a socket can't provide enough power?

Or is it just not connecting the data to do CarPlay?

If the later I've been having a very similar issue with Android 13 on an Xperia and solved it by making the connection "dumber" - the same idea may be worth a try in your case

Basically the replacement circuit board cant supply enough power for the iphone 15 so doesnt work at all for either just charging in the upper port or charging and car play on lower port. The carplay issue isnt a problem since the unit has wireless connection. Below is the email Kenwood sent to THQ.

Please check that the phone being tested is not an iPhone 15 – if it is, please test with another model. This is because the kit was designed pre-iPhone15 and the USB C board cannot supply the current that this phone requires.

Could you test with another phone to ensure function

If you have wireless though you should be able to plug a charger into the 12v socket?

I have a T6.1 with comfort dash - I have a USB stick and a data connection for the main phone (as I need to be wired data) in the vans USB-C and then we have a charger in the 12v socket that does USB-C for my second phone(data hotspot) and USB-A for MrsRTs iPhone SE

You absolutely should get a new unit FOC as it cleary states compatible with iPhone on latest firmware which is misleading.

Thanks - basically I can use everything fine - wireless carplay and charging via other ports/12v socket so overall happy with the unit. My point is that for a unit costing £1300 the fact it cant connect or charge via USB, as advertised, to the current iPhone model is a bit disappointing.

Back