I can wholeheartedly recommend the diesel heater, they really do warm the whole van up really quickly.

And it's handy not just when camping. Picking someone up/waiting around for someone with it's cold and don't want to sit there with the engine running for heat? Stick on the diesel heater!

Doing some work inside the van and feeling a little chilly? Stick on the diesel heater! :rofl:

Minus degrees in the morning and commuting to work at 7am? Stick on the diesel heater (half an hour before you leave) and have a nice toasty warm and defrosted van! :cool:
It’s handy when you wait 8 hours for breakdown recovery in sub zero temps on the moors. Sit in the back with your feet up nice and warm and make a brew.

more bits inbound thanks to 12v Planet + Screwfix.

1716106437947.png

thinking of going with the external EHU IN under the bonnet by the battery . . .

1716106472129.png1716106481812.png

got some 2.5mm 20A Arctic blue cables for the runs. . .

1716106518585.png

a two way CU . . . . ( the red lamp show incoming reverse polarity L/N apparently)

1716106536280.png

which comes with some paperwork, , ,

1716106597255.png

and for outgoing EHU I've gone for this one. . .

1716106669149.png

my thoughts are:

EHU IN under bonnet by battery.

CU passenger seat base. - as no room next to battery.

240v outlet on a 4way fly lead for now - but to be replaced with a twin socket on a seat base back panel.

the idea being no inverter for now, just the EF deltas - so the EHU can charge that

+++++++

BUT, i also want EHU OUT,

that will be run from the EF Delta2 240v output . . .

its a floating inverter, so doesn't need the chassis earth bond.

and i would use EHU extension reals that have built in RCD protection.

so no need to worry about fancy transfer switches..

I'm thinking of just an extension lead style. . . a plug in the van - plugged into the Delta2, which runs external from the van, to the EHU OUT socket.

WHY?

well when camping for a couple of nights or longer we normally have the twin compressor fridges, tea & coffee machine in the side awning.

and normally have to have extensions leads trailing out the passenger window, or slammed shunt in doors. . . which is not ideal.

the plan being when we OFF GRID, the Delta provides the 240v, then we just use the EHU lead run from the external point inro the awning for the above kit.

simples right?

+++++++

as for location, i first thought up front - next to the EHU IN.?

but now im thinking of at the rear under the the rear bumper passenger side? - cable run could then be out the floor grommet under the seat, then allong the underside of the van to the back bumper location.

that will make it easier to connect to and run into the side awning via its cable entry point.

+++

this kind of thing. . .

BLUE is the EHU IN , via the CU to a double socket.

RED is the EHU OUT , from the delta2 (or plugged in to a EHU in socket for EHU loop-through)

GREEN is the external EHU RCD real out to the awning for off grid EHU from the delta2.

1716107622838.png

+++

separately we will be having the SB230ah + DC-DC charger under the drivers seat - that will trickle charge the Delta2. + 12v stuff.

and decided to defo get a derv heater fitted ( OEM location under van with OEM B-Pillar ducting as both seat bases will be full)

we also have a new AMT12-2 to be used as a start battery trickle charger from the SB230,

solar will be mobile for now as needed and connected via SB50`s

+++

I thought the answer to why an EHU out would be to supply you fellow campers with power so you could act like a mobile power station for all us dweebs that don’t have a decent off grid setup :D

We have our EHU under the rear bumper and I think it works really well, ours is slightly off centre to the drivers side. I would recommend for in/out, virtually invisible and easy as long as you AREN’T (edit) excessively low

Last edited:
I make sure to run our diesel heater at least once every month.

In four years, I think I've only had to run it twice when it has been sat on the drive in the summer.

It can get chilly in the evening, no matter how warm during the day.

I thought the answer to why an EHU out would be to supply you fellow campers with power so you could act like a mobile power station for all us dweebs that don’t have a decent off grid setup :D

We have our EHU under the rear bumper and I think it works really well, ours is slightly off centre to the drivers side. I would recommend for in/out, virtually invisible and easy as long as you excessively low
Got some pics of the rear EHU, and how it's mounted?

Seen one guy had his screwed to a lump of wood underneath.

And for EHU battery chargers.....

I'm thinking I'll just plug in a victron 15A+ to the inside 240v socket, then plug into the 12v side with sb50 Anderson quick disconnect.

So basically a plug and play solution for when it's needed..... No need for a permanent install.

its a floating inverter, so doesn't need the chassis earth bond.

and i would use EHU extension reals that have built in RCD protection.
Do you know for certain if your inverter bonds N and PE lines? If not then any RCD will not work.

RCDs aren't magic make it safe devices, they need to have reasonably specific configuration in your wiring arrangements to work.

From Victron Wiring Unlimited

Screenshot_20240519-112629-01.jpeg

I have a general feeling of unease whenever an inherently portable and temporary 240v source is connected to structured wiring as if it's the grid. While they are inherently low risk and safe for the designed use (devices plugged in directly to them occasionally) the further you move from that the more the risk rises and adding structural wiring to them can make them less safe as it's something they are not built to do in the way that say a Clayton device is.

Back