Any suggestions how to measure mobile mast output on the village hall?

It must be using the existing radio network as no other network connections apparent, theoretically that black network cable could be going to a router but unlikely.

So it's either a picocell using the local mast as backhaul or just a plain booster.

How old is it? It's entirely possible it's only 2G/3G capable so may not be effective now 3G is being dropped to give space to 4G/5G data.

If you fancy an experiment if you have a phone you can set to 2G only I wonder if that would show a strong local signal?

If I was to place a bet now if it's been there for a while probably a picocell that used the 3G from a local mast as backhaul that may very well have dropped off the network during the withdrawal of 3G and no one's noticed. Usually if a cell looses its backhaul the access radio side will shut down.

I'd be ringing Vodafone and quoting some of those serial numbers to them - I'd start with the business side not retail.
Good knowledge, but there is a little RJ11 cable which probably goes out to a PSTN phone line for backhaul. I would agree with the other comments that this kit looks pretty old and I would expect is no longer providing any service. The cost to recover is probably too high so it will likely never get collected.

We walked around the village green that is opposite the hall. Using the OpenSignal app suggested by BikerPa I was able to set the band to 2G/3G and all providers and there was absolutely nothing. The last time the box was tested for electrical safety as per the sticker on the front is dated 2015.
I will recommend that the PC Chairperson does instruct accordingly.
Does he/she have authority?

I’m not sure. But I’ve emailed him and the secretary. In the short term I suggest we turn it off and unplug it but leave all within their case alone aside from turning the power off.

Good knowledge, but there is a little RJ11 cable which probably goes out to a PSTN phone line for backhaul. I would agree with the other comments that this kit looks pretty old and I would expect is no longer providing any service. The cost to recover is probably too high so it will likely never get collected.
No as established earlier the RJ11 goes to the phone triggered power adapter straight from the "Cisco" box - you can see both ends of it between the two photos.

I've pinged a couple of the field team guys I know socially to see if they recognise the kit, I suspect it's before their time.

Yep before their time but consensus is likely old 3G picocell.

Thier advice is similar to this thread, probably defunct, turn it off and see if anyone turns up or rings.

Update:
The chairman has been in contact with the villager whom helped get it installed in the first place, whom has been in contact with Vodafone.

Apparently they were planning to upgrade it to 4G last year but that seems to have stalled.

They’ve said the contractor should be getting in touch with us in the next couple of weeks to confirm an install date.

Looks like it slipped off someone’s schedule so hopefully this will resolve things.

I’ve still suggested we turn it off unless they are paying the electricity bill.

I’ve still suggested we turn it off unless they are paying the electricity bill.
It's unlikely to be using significant power, it's 2 network devices and low range radio (and the one in your phone runs for a day off battery) so I'd anticipate around 100w - a bright lightbulb in old money -but it's reasonable to ask Vodafone how much it does use.

100w would be 2.4 kWh a day or 876 a year, so that many units of electricity. At the current price cap of 24p that's £220 a year - though I suspect your hall like the one I help look after is on uncapped energy as a non domestic account (something our hirers pay no notice of when they turn all the lights on and prop open all the outside doors "to be welcoming" and then complain the heating isn't working...)

Back